Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Mint Cookies

This recipe was gifted to me by a former co-worker's wife. Re-gifting to you!
Recipe:
3/4 cup of butter
1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of water
2 cups of chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon of salt (recipe says 1/2 t, but I always cut the salt)
1 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
3 cups of all-purpose flour (recipe says 2 1/2 cups, but I bake at high altitude)
In a small sauce pan over low heat, stir butter, sugar and water until butter is melted. Add chocolate chips. When the chocolate chips are melted, remove from heat. Pour melted mixture into a mixing bowl to cool for 10 minutes. Beat two eggs into the chocolate mixture. Then add salt, baking soda and flour. Now chill your dough for an hour. Roll your chilled dough into balls and place 2" apart on a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 350F. They may not seem done at 8 minutes, but trust me.
For decorating, you'll need mint candy wafers (look for them at a craft store). My friend always uses green mint candy wafers, but I only found white mint at Hobby Lobby. You can also use half of an Andes mint.
As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven and transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, gently press a candy mint wafer into the center of the warm cookie. The candy wafer will begin to melt. When the top of the wafer is shiny, the candy is melted and you can spread the candy with a spatula. Sprinkle with green colored sugar and/or chocolate sprinkles.
Or, you can skip spreading the candy and gently press holly leaves and berries (Wilton Holly Mix sprinkles) in the melted candy wafer for a really pretty finished look:
I started a blog that I use to pin things to Pinterest. I backdated posts of projects/recipes to keep as a reference. You can check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness these are DELICIOUS. And that is an understatement. I added about 1/2 t peppermint extract and 1 t vanilla extract (I am physically unable to bake a cookie or cake without it). I used the Andes mints for the toppers. I baked for 8 minutes, put the mints on and popped them back in the over for about 30-45 seconds, then spread the mint around. Carrie is right, they do NOT look done at 8 minutes, but do trust her. They are perfect! Thank you for this recipe, Carrie. These are amazing. I am so happy I sent 2 dozen with Mark to his work party. That is 2 dozen fewer I will eat in this ONE sitting. YUM.

    ReplyDelete