Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Spiced Quinoa and Chickpeas

I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com, made it last night for meatless Monday. It was SO good! I omitted the pine nut-- A)because I didn't have them on hand and B) because I'm too cheap to buy them. I ate some hot and cold and it really was delicious both ways.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or veg if you want vegetarian/vegan)
1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained (optional)
Directions

Stir together the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the drained garbanzo beans, toasted pine nuts, and raisins. Serve warm or cold.

Credit: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spiced-quinoa/

1 comment:

  1. We tried this tonight. The grown ups gave it 2 thumbs up! The kids were on the fence, one really liked it, the other not so much. I half expected this outcome though, because K doesn't care for anything I have made with quinoa. The curry flavors the quinoa deliciously, and the raisins were a great touch. Next time, I will probably up the raisin count by just a few. I also did not have pine nuts on hand, but feel they would be a nice touch for the texture alone. For more than 2 adults, I would suggest a double batch, because we had none leftover and I think it would also be delicious cold!

    ReplyDelete