Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Homemade Fruit Snacks Ingredients: 1 cup Berries (strawberries, blueberries, or cherries), frozen or fresh (I've also used half a cup beets and the rest fruit) 1/3 cup lemon juice A generous squeeze from the honey jar (or maple syrup, glycine powder or nothing, I typically skip sweetening) 5 Tbsp. Gelatin 3/4 C fruit juice (pick one that complements your fruit above) elderberry syrup (I typically use ~5 tbsp) Measure the berries, lemon juice, and honey in a pot and heat until the berries are nice and soft. Pour into a blender, add elderberry syrup if using and blend until smooth. Dissolve the gelatin in the fruit juice. Stop the blender and add the gelatin mix. Blend again and pour into a 8x8 or 9x9 pan (or candy molds). Put into the refrigerator to set and then cut into cubes. I store them in the fridge just because they taste good cold, but are very portable and do well out of the refrigerator too. **A note about the gelatin. First be sure to use all 5 Tablespoons or the fruit snacks won't be the right texture. Also I use pure beef gelatin that I buy in bulk. It is a very healthy addition to your diet. I prefer the Great Lakes brand that I buy online through Amazon. Beef gelatin is tasteless, odorless, and has lots of great health benefits. **you can also spread this on a cookie sheet with tall sides and cut into strips for fruit 'leather'

No comments:

Post a Comment